On Saturday, 28 April 2018 at 17:20:46 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 16:36:41 Gerald via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]

In general, you just use auto, but that's not going to work if you can't directly initialize the variable. In that case, the solution is typeof. e.g. something like

typeof(prompPosition[]) range;

[...]

If you mean the interfaces from std.range.interfaces, I don't think that anything in Phobos uses them except for that module, and I expect that very little range-based code in general uses them. Ranges are almost always structs. There are rare cases where those interfaces make sense, but ranges in general don't use them. Rather, range-based code is almost always templated.

- Jonathan M Davis

Thanks for the quick reply and the pointer in the right direction, I ended up using the ReturnType template to make it work:

ReturnType!(promptPosition.lowerBound) range;