On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 08:32:08 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
rdmd is a companion to the dmd compiler that simplifies the typical edit-compile-link-run or edit-make-run cycle to a rapid edit-run cycle. Like make and other tools, rdmd uses the relative dates of the files involved to minimize the amount of work necessary. Unlike make, rdmd tracks dependencies and freshness without requiring additional information from the user.

Source: https://dlang.org/rdmd.html

I have a simple standard .d script and I'm getting annoyed that it takes 2-3 seconds to run and see the results via rdmd.

This might sound like insanely laughable time to be annoyed by, but it is a enough of a problem for me to make a Thread in a D lang Forum.

Every time I make a change to a script it takes at least 2 seconds on my computer for it to run, if you are beginner like me - you know it is not very pleasant to wait out that duration. I wonder if anything can be done about it, why it takes so "much" time, and why can't the results show up in a few milliseconds instead?

#!/usr/bin/env rdmd
import std.stdio, std.process;

void main() {

        writeln("This writeln is taking long time ");
        executeShell("pause");

}

If I remember correctly:
rdmd does one step in the compilation step twice and is therefore slower than dmd. Dmd was in the meantime enhanced to provide the same functionality as rdmd.
I assume dmd -i -run myscript.d
If you have one file only, you do not need the -i argument.

Also please keep in mind there could be other factors like slow disks, anti virus scanners,... which causes a slow down.

Dmd also allows you to just test the syntax of your source code file without generating an executable.

Kind regards
Andre