On Monday, 17 June 2019 at 03:46:11 UTC, Norm wrote:
On Monday, 17 June 2019 at 00:22:23 UTC, Samir wrote:

Any suggestions on how to rectify?

You could change the IF to

`if(line.length > 0 && line[0] == '>')`

Thanks, Norm.  That seemed to do the trick and fixed the error.

On Monday, 17 June 2019 at 11:25:01 UTC, aliak wrote:
On Monday, 17 June 2019 at 00:22:23 UTC, Samir wrote:

HOWEVER, the output is interesting. There IS a blank line between the last line and the prompt:

That's because you're using write*ln*. So even though line is empty, you still output a new line.

Curious. I am going to have to think about that for a bit as I don't quite understand.

Any suggestions on how to rectify?

You can do:

if (!line.length) {
    continue;
}

Inside your while loop after the call to strip.

Thanks, aliak! I think this is similar to Norm's suggestion in that I need to check for a non-zero line length before continuing.

What's funny now is that I get two blank lines after the output and before the prompt:

$ ./readfile
 line 1
line 2
line 3
 line 4
line 5

$

Ultimately, I think the original suggestions by you and lithium iodate about there being an empty line at the end is probably the culprit. I will have to investigate that further.

Thank you to everyone that chimed in to help me out!