On Friday, 5 July 2019 at 19:56:54 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
It works when you pass an actual callable instead, e.g. a lambda:

p.map!(a => a[column]).maxElement.writeln;

On Friday, 5 July 2019 at 20:22:14 UTC, dwdv wrote:
Furthermore, Samir, the parameter `a` can be renamed to whatever you prefer or what fits the code at hand best, e.g. `(row => row[column])`, as opposed to the string version, where only a small set of mostly single character names is supported.

Thank you very much for the explanation! As I've mentioned before, I have a lot to learn about the `map` function and the details provided here help immensely.

Samir