On Tuesday, 24 September 2019 at 21:40:47 UTC, Brett wrote:
The only issue is that buggy dynamic code can result if someone compares the two and it will fail silently.

But, you don't know if the static array actually contains a null-terminated string (in which case the comparison is a bug) or an actual meaningful string of that length, such as a string literal represented as a static array (in which case the comparison is completely valid).

It could be quite complex bug that destroys the space station.

The worst kind of bugs are the ones for which the program works correctly 99.9% of the time (including in all unit tests), but 0.1% of the time things explode. This doesn't seem to me like that kind of a bug, if only that a NUL character will always be presented in a zero-terminated string embedded in a static array, but practically never in a D string.

If I convert a static array to a string, I want the "string" portion of the array.

Zero-terminated strings are kind of a C thing. D isn't C, it has its own string type. Even though many libraries use a C ABI for interop, and thus use C strings, this isn't a requirement for a D program - after all, you can write your own kernel and operating system in D, all fully without zero-terminated strings.