On Monday, 18 November 2019 at 00:20:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
I'm fighting some out of memory problems using DMD and some super-template heavy code.

I have ideas on how to improve the situation, but it involves redesigning a large portion of the design. I want to do it incrementally, but I need to see things improving.

Is there a straightforward way to figure out how much memory the compiler uses during compilation? I though maybe /usr/bin/time, but I feel like I don't trust the output to be the true max resident size to be what I'm looking for (or that it's 100% accurate). Is there a sure-fire way to have DMD print it's footprint?

-Steve

Massif is good for this. ms_print will give you a graphical summary, and the data is human and machine readable.

The only setback being that massif can make the execution slower however I can't give exact numbers but it can be terrible.