On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 at 10:39:06 UTC, mark wrote:

Library Reference Documentation

The Library Reference documentation seems to be a mixed bag. Often I've found a good overview at the start, but then few or no examples in the docs for classes and methods (see e.g., https://dlang.org/phobos/std_zip.html#.ZipArchive).

I don't find the presentation of the member properties and methods very easy to read, but the worst aspect is the lack of examples.

It's a bug if something isn't properly documented, whatever the flaw may be. It's gotten a lot better in the time that I've been using D, but there are still a few rough spots.

My strategy has been to ask for an example in the forum. I then click "Improve this page" in the upper right corner and it's a simple process to create a PR with the example added. Most of the documentation PRs I've created have been merged within a fwe hours. If you don't want to do that, you can create an issue in Bugzilla, with a detailed explanation of what you were doing and what the documentation should show instead.

It would be nice for this to already be done, and while it's generally good by the standards of programming languages, there are still some weak spots. Anyone can help fix them. In some cases when I've reported missing documentation, there actually *was* documentation but it wasn't getting added to the website for some reason. Nobody will know until it's pointed out. And nobody's going to shout at you for filing too many documentation bugs or creating too many PRs to fix documentation bugs.