John Reimer wrote:
Okay, that is an important detail for me to know. But I assumed that a C++ interface must not be allocated in D either. In must acquire a pointer from an external factory that handles the allocation outside of the gc range (C++ code must allocate/delete it's own objects).

This seems to me to be a somewhat equivalent process as for a COM object.

Is there a ClassInfo flag indicating no-gc-collection for extern(C++) interfaces too?

No. The COM object is special because part of its interface is to do its own memory management, that isn't true in general for C++ interfaces.