"Paul D. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sun has announced that their next language release, Java 7, which was
> expected in 2008 will now occur sometime in 2010. The big changes that
> were expected were the additions of closures and properties. Neither of
> those seems likely now. The focus for the next release now seems to be
> modularity, but it looks to me like it's one of those "everybody thinks
> it's a good idea, but nobody wants to do it the same way" kind of
> problems, which was the big problem with closures.
>
> To be fair, they have released a significant update, Java 6 update 10, and
> a new scripting language, Java FX Script,  built on the JVM. But it just
> seems like the language and the community have gotten so big  and
> unwieldly that it can't evolve any more. Like everyone else, Sun is
> looking for "the next Java".
>
> Of course, participants in this forum know that "the next Java" is already
> here...
>
> Paul

Java was dead to me the moment I discovered C# (which was before I came
across D). And even before that, I considered Java a suitable replacement
for C++ *only* in occasional circumstances. Ever since then, Java's
enourmous popularity has just sickened me. Although, to it's credit, there
are certainly worse languages in heavy use (PHP, VBScript).