bearophile wrote:
I have adapted another small benchmark to D. This benchmark is less interesting
than the other ones because it mostly tests the optimizations done by the
back-end. This means it's not a problem of the D language or its front-end, so
even if DMD here shows to be not much efficient, LDC once finished may show
significant improvements.
As usual I may have done several errors, so keep your eyes open.

..snip..

Timings:

C gcc:
  Long arithmetic: 11.15 s
  Nested Loops: 0.11 s

D dmd:
  Long arithmetic: 63.7 s
  Nested Loops: 6.17 s

Bye,
bearophile

I tried this out with Tango + DMD 1.033, Tango + LDC r847 and GCC 4.3.2, my timings are as follows, best of three:

$ dmd bench.d -O -release -inline
long arith:  55630 ms
nested loop:  5090 ms

$ ldc bench.d -O3 -release -inline
long arith:  13870 ms
nested loop:   120 ms

$ gcc bench.c -O3 -s -fomit-frame-pointer
long arith: 13600 ms
nested loop:  170 ms

My cpu is: Athlon64 X2 3800+