John Reimer wrote:
Hello Bill,

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:46 AM, John Reimer <terminal.n...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Back to the present.  Again, it would be easier if we just fix this
situation by changing the "dwt" newsgroup to "GUI" and forget about
the reference to "standard" for now.

Ugh, that would be terrible.  I really don't care what troubles a GTKD
user is facing, and I'm sure that the GTKD user couldn't care less
what issues are hot in the DWT world.

Maybe. I was trying to be fair. GTKD uses the dsource forums for the most part anyway. Same goes for dfl and a few others. On a few occasions, a GUI project has used the dwt newsgroup to make a few announcements.

Putting several different gui groups under one top-level gui heading
would be fine though.  I mean like
digitalmars.D.gui.{dwt,gtkd,qtd,...}.

Sure. But I doubt it's going to happen because who knows what kind of lifespan other GUI projects will have. It was risky to do it so early for dwt. I suppose if nobody cares if the space is used or not, then it's fine.

The time to "standardize" a GUI library is
perhaps when a project has proven its survivability and popularity
enough to
warrant the title.  Even so, GUI's are going to be particularly
controversial, so it may be wise for D to avoid standardizing any
such thing
for awhile.  Just as there are people that don't like the Tango
"style" (a
very /few/ people, of course ;) ), even so there are going to be
people that
don't like dwt.
With Python, they put wrappers for Tk into the standard distribution
long ago, and it's still the only one there AFAIK, but I don't think
it's all that popular any more.  wxPython, pyQt, and wxGTK have all
taken off since then and offer a lot more functionality.

I think this will be the same problem for D.

Still it's nice to have a basic cross-platform GUI right there in the
standard distribution of the language.

Does DWT offer that yet? Certainly it didn't at the moment of 'standardisation'.

If they agree to it... sure. :) Personally, I would rather have a very well defined package download system (like dsss was meant to be) that makes it easy for the user to install the library of his/her choice (like ruby gems). Then integrate that system into something like descent so that a user can pick a choose from a list right from the IDE so that they can plug it right into their project.

It cuts down on the core package size and gives the developer a little more choice in the matter. I suppose I'm revealing my dependency on dialup here. :)

-JJR