Don wrote:
tango.math doesn't use the C library at all, except when inline asm is unavailable. Of they differ from the C functions, in that none of them set errno! One really annoying issue still remains, though -- the floating point flags in the CPU. They are entirely deterministic, but are they considered to be part of the return value of the function? Or would we allow them to be ignored? A compiler could check the exception flags before allowing memoisation. But one could also do the same thing for 'errno'.

Likewise, floating point rounding modes. Essentially, the floating point status register is a hidden global variable, read from# and written to during every floating point operation.

# - only the rounding mode and truncation affect the return value. We could deal with it by regarding that as a whole-program setting. But (depending on the CPU), the old exception flags generally get ORed with the new exception flags.

Those are good points. I don't know what the answer is. My inclination is to say if your program relies on changing the rounding mode or fiddles with the exception flags, it's undefined behavior.

Also, you can set the flags to allow any floating point function to throw a hardware exception. It's difficult for any function using floating point to claim to be nothrow under ANY circumstances; but that's a horrible limitation.

I would say that is not supported by D. I've never heard of a use for them.