Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Brad Roberts wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Advantage #1 of marrying a foreigner: you get to convince her that V-day
is an artificial event created for commercial interests only because
they want to sell blood diamonds. Watching "Blood Diamond" together a
week before V-day recommended.

Andrei

Psst.. not to burst your bubble, but you're just as much a foreigner as
she is.  So cut that out and go do something nice for your wife. :)

Of course. That does not diminish the effectiveness of the technique in the least. The problems start of course when you share some V-Day equivalent in your native culture (e.g. March 8 for us). At that point I usually bring up the "When in Rome..." saying. :o)

Andrei

A couple of years back I introduced her to the Japanese "white day," which is (warning: oversimplified explanation ahead) held a week later, with the roles reversed as it were. Works out well for me.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls