Hello Nick,

"John Reimer" <terminal.n...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:28b70f8c1452e8cb5e9c3ce5b...@news.digitalmars.com...

Hello Walter,

John Reimer wrote:

Concerning profanity and swearing.  I think many forms of
expression should warrant more careful thought.  I don't believe
profane or irreverant expression has a neutral effect on hearers.
We've already seen plenty of evidence of that in here.  You may
think it's cute and artsy, but I think it does any combination of
the following:  creates a language barrier, trivializes the
original meaning of certain anglo-saxon words, shows general
disrespect in communication, demonstrates poor vocabulary, reveals
carelessness in thinking of others feelings, etc and on and on.
It's like throwing dirt in somebody's face and thinking that's a
normal way to interact.  We can stamp a "art" sticker on it and
call it funny when it is clothed in a comedic role (or any
situation really), but this is just as effective as sticking an
"ice cream" tab on a pile of manure; there's no way to make it
pretty.

I don't disagree with most of that, except that the language one
used reflects on the speaker, not the listener. The listener chooses
how to react to that, and that is the listener's choice.

That's one way to shift responsibility.

As a listener, I find the suggestion that the speaker is the one in
control of my reaction downright insulting. No one's attempting to
"shift responsibility" here.

Hmm... I didn't think of it quite that way. :)

Nick, I'm merely saying that we must take responsibility for what we say, including the potential affect on the listener. I felt Walter was shifting this responsibilty away with his statement here, but perhaps I confused his meaning? If so, my apologies. I'm afraid as I get more tired, my brain waves get fuzzier.

-JJR