Reply to Andrei,

I'm quite unhappy with the API of std.regexp. It's a chaotic design
that provides a hodgepodge of functionality and tries to use as many
synonyms of "to find" in the dictionary (e.g. search, match). I could
swear Walter never really cared for using regexps, and that is felt
throughout the design: it fills the bullet point but it's asinine to
use.

Besides std.regexp only works with (narrow) strings and we want it to
work on streams of all widths and structures. One pet complaint I have
is that std.regexp puts a class around it all as if everybody's
favorite pastime would be to inherit Regexp and override some random
function in it.

In the upcoming releases of D 2.0 there will be rather dramatic
breaking changes of phobos. I just wanted to ask whether y'all could
stomach yet another rewritten API or you'd rather use std.regexp as it
is for the time being.

Andrei

For what it's worth, I have a partial clone of the .NET API built on top of PCRE. I would have to ask my boss but I expect I could donate it if anyone want to use it as a basis.