Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Georg Wrede wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
Daniel Keep wrote:
It should be noted that this is really no different to executing
arbitrary code on a machine.  That said, compiling a program is not
typically thought of as "executing" code, so some restrictions in this
case would probably be prudent.

Here's the scenario I'm concerned about. Let's say you set up a website that instead of supporting javascript, supports D used as a scripting language. The site thus must run the D compiler on the source code. When it executes the resulting code, that execution presumably will run in a "sandbox" at a low privilege level.

But the compiler itself will be part of the server software, and may run at a higher privilege. The import feature could possible read any file in the system, inserting it into the executable being built. The running executable could then supply this information to the attacker, even though it is sandboxed.

This is why even using the import file feature must be explicitly enabled by a compiler switch, and which directories it can read must also be explicitly set with a compiler switch. Presumably, it's a lot easier for the server software to control the compiler switches than to parse the D code looking for obfuscated file imports.

As almost everybody else here, I've maintained a couple of websites.

Using D to write CGI programs (that are compiled, real binaries) is appealing, but I'd never even think about having the web server itself use the D compiler!!!

I mean, how often do you see web sites where stuff is fed to a C compiler and the resulting programs run????? (Yes it's too slow, but that's hardly the point here.) That is simply not done.

Of course it is, probably just not in C. Last time I looked, there are two concepts around, one of "statically-generated dynamic pages" and one of "entirely dynamic pages". I know because I installed an Apache server and at that time support for statically-generated dynamic pages was new.

What that means is this:

a) statically-generated dynamic = you generate the page once, it's good until the source of the page changes;

b) "really" dynamic page = you generate the page at each request.

Rdmd might get one thinking of such, but then, how many websites use dynamically created PHP? Dynamically created pages yes, but with static PHP source.

I must be missing something big here...

I think D with rdmd would be great for (a).

I'm still not sure what you mean. I see it as static (as in plain html) vs dynamic (as, FaceBook, Wikipedia, etc.). Now these dynamic pages can be php pages, that get their data from a database (I guess wikimedia would be a good example), but neither case involves creating the server side programs (as in *.php, *.cgi) dynamically.

Or sort-of. Many PHP web applications contain pages that dynamically choose which sub-elements (say a news ticker) to "show", but that's still just combinations of prewritten "mini-pages", if you will. (Some even have them in a RDBMS.)

But a use case where one would need to create CGI-BIN stuff that is so variable as to warrant recompiling, I don't see. One would rather have a set of small D programs (binaries) that do small things, like one for latest news, one for informing about others online, etc.

--------

Of course there are sites where I can type D source code in a box, and have it compiled and run. But I'm sure neither of us are talking about such sites? I mean, to do that, the administrator usually knows what he's doing! And can take care of himself, which means we don't have to accommodate his needs.