Reply to Yigal,

On 30/03/2009 04:42, Mike Parker wrote:

No, it gives no freedom to developers at all. Using any GPL code in
your project /forces/ you to open your source. It takes the decision
of whether to open or not out of your hands and puts it in the hands
of whomever created the GPLed product you use. That's why you won't
find bindings for any GPL libraries in Derelict, because then
Derelict and any project that uses it would have to be GPL. You call
that freedom?

all I can say is: huh?
Nobody forces you to use GPL code if you don't like it. Sorry to say
that, but the above is bullshit.
GPL *is a* license. if I write code and license it with my preferred
license, no matter if it's GPL or NDAed proprietary license, if you
want
to use *my* code, you need to abide by *my* rules. I am a developer, I
write code, *I* decide under what terms can you use it. that's as
simple
as that.

GPL says in effect to the client programmer: "If you use /my/ code than /you/ have to release /your/ code on /my/ terms."

That works but reads as an ultimatum and leaves it unusable for many people.

[...]

nothing prevents you from using free software libraries with your
closed
source project, that's why we have the LGPL.

But we're not talking about LGPL (the fact the the LGPL exists sort of supports Mike's point).