Nick Sabalausky wrote:

In all of the schools I've looked at, 90% of the classes were already chosen for you. The only choices you typically have are when you take a particular class (as in, during what semester, etc), a small handful of electives and a few "course A or course B and then either C or D", etc. Not really much of an issue of choice for the most part.

This was definitely the case in my engineering program my first time in school. The major had so many requirements that they wedged in full courses for half credit to get under the per-semester course limit.