Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Daniel Keep wrote:
Warning: semi-rant ahead.  Feel free to ignore.  :)
[...]
Windows is a pain in the arse, and there isn't a day that goes by where
I don't wish I could get rid of it from my life.  But the fact is that
it's STILL better than Linux.

Andrei said that Windows is for users, and unix is for programmers.
That's fine; I'm a programmer!  But I'm also a user.  I shouldn't have
to spend all day to work out how to do something in linux that's trivial
in Windows.

What you don't realize is that you spend all day to work out how to do something in Windows that's trivial in Unix. And that "something" is writing computer programs.

I disagree. While it is easier to write small programs in Unix, non-trivial programs are nearly always written with IDEs, and IDEs tend to try to take over most of the tasks for which you would typically use a command line. Non-trivial programs need semantics-aware refactoring rather than simple sed-style replacements.

Still, I think vim + screen makes a pretty good IDE.