Walter Bright wrote:
Leandro Lucarella wrote:
You missed the point. I'm not talking about freeing the memory. I'm
talking about finalizers. A finalizer could send a "bye" packet throgh the
net. That can't be handled by the OS.

That shouldn't be handled by a finalizer. A "bye" packet can be handled by a static destructor.

That requires more work -- you have to keep track of a bunch of instances that are active, and then the static destructor goes through all of them and nukes them each in turn. It isn't a whole lot of work, I admit. But it is -- or at least, it is perceived as -- an idiom to make up for an inadequacy of the garbage collector.

Finalizers are fairly useless for gc. But they are a lot more useful as RAII destructors.

Then maybe finalizers should be divorced entirely from garbage collection.