Leandro Lucarella wrote:
And may I ask what it would happen if I do this with your "-nogc"
proposal?

class A
{
        B b;
}

class B
{
        A a;
}

A a = new A;
a.b = new B;
a.b.a = a;

? Wont this leak? Are you planning to make a backup tracing collector to
fix cycles maybe? Because I don't think using a naive reference counting
will avoid leaks as easy as you put it...

RC is not *that* simple.

Oh I absolutely agree. In short, what happens depends on how Ref is implemented. In essence what I suggest is not (a simplified method of) reference counting, it's a hook that allows various allocation/collection strategies to be implemented by knowledgeable people (hint, hint) :o).

I think WeakRef!T would also have to be part of the offering inside object_whatever.d. Then the example above can be fixed for the refcounting case by making one of the references weak.