On Mon, 04 May 2009 23:52:56 +0400, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:

Sometimes I rename recursive functions, or I duplicate and modify them, and they stop working because inside them there's one or more copy of their old name, so for example they recurse to their old name. So inside a function I'd like to have a standard name to call the function itself, useful for recursivity. (If you have two or more recursive functions that call each other this idea can't be used, but I think such situations are uncommon enough to not deserve help from the language).

I have just discussed this in the Python newsgroup too:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/d265da85d4b70eaf#

I use more recursivity in D than in Python, because Python has troubles with it.

In future in D2 you may use:

int ANUGLYNAME(int n) {
    if (n <= 1)
        return 1;
    else
        mixin(__FUNCTION__ ~ "(n - 1) * n");
}

But you can't use __FUNCTION__ into a delegate/function pointer/lambda because the name isn't available, and it's a bit ugly syntax anyway...

This looks a bit better:

int ANUGLYNAME(int n) {
    if (n <= 1)
        return 1;
    else
        __self(n - 1) * n;
}

Other syntaxes are possible.

__self is a way to denote the pointer/delegate of the function currently being run, so I think the compiler is always able to that, for delegate/ function pointers/ lambdas/ methods/ virtual methods/ opCalls too.

Bye,
bearophile

It was proposed awhile ago:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/FUNCTION_84985.html

Andrei's respond:

"I think instead of __FUNCTION__ we'll define a much more comprehensive static reflection facility."

"You will have it as a human readable identifier too. The problem with
__FUNCTION__, __CLASS__ etc. is that the list of ad-hoc names (what
happened to __STRUCT__, __MODULE__ et al?) can go forever."

"D2 will have reflection. (Walter doesn't know yet. He thinks D3 will have reflection.) It will be compile-time reflection because only run-time reflection only is missing the point."

"This is a long discussion, but in brief any runtime reflection engine needs some sort of compile-time metadata infrastructure. Some languages don't make that accessible within the language itself. Runtime reflection has been explored extensively, its possibilities and limitations are pretty well understood, I hardly smothered a yawn reading all you wrote. Compile-time reflection is much less understood and hides many more exciting possibilities. With the advances in compiler technology implemented by Walter, we have a chance to tackle reflection in a systematic manner."