So, are you saying that it might be possible to create a D plugin for NB 6.7?
Also, what is ANTLR?
Thanks,
JC

BLS wrote:
dsimcha wrote:
== Quote from JC (jcrapuchet...@gmail.com)'s article
I am considering trying NetBeans for all of my development. I have been using Eclipse, but have found that I am only using it because of its project interface
and its language highlight support (which sometimes doesn't work).
This brings me to my question: I know that NetBeans will work for PHP and C++, the other two languages I use, but is there a way to get it to work with D?
Thanks,
JC

AFAIK, no, but if you could create a plugin for it, I would be forever grateful. A few months ago, I crossed over to the dark side and wrote a very small (1-day) project in Java because it had a library that I really needed. Despite despising everything else about the language (I had never used Java before this), I was
thoroughly amazed by the power of NetBeans.

The experience made me understand why people use Java: As much as Java the core language sucks, the IDEs for it are so good that they're almost metaprogramming facilities that write a bunch of your more tedious Java code for you. Of course, I wouldn't trade D templates for it, but if C++'s relatively weak templates were the tradeoff, I might consider it. If something half this good were created for D, it would be a huge step toward getting D accepted by the wider community.

I spend (waste) a couple of time in creating a Netbeans based D IDE.
(and I agree, Netbeans is a pretty good tool, and the Developer Collaboration plugin is fantastic)

Problem was, and still is the virulent paradigm and API change.
During NB 5.5 / 6 the Schlieman engine was a hot topic. ( Meanwhile this engine is pretty dead. Was not usable for D 'cause LARL 1 limitation ++)

The next incarnation since NB 6.1 - 6.5 was GSF (Generic scripting framework) which , however, never really fits into the Editor-Lexer- bridge API. I will not say that it was impossible to create D language support using these APIs but you always have to keep your own code base in sync. with the NB SVN repos, which was, frankly said, a pain in the ass.

Now, for the upcoming NB 6.7 the "foreign language related " APIs seem to become stable. IMO the remaining part is ANTLR integration/support.

Scala,Python,Ruby,PHP,Erlang and since a few days, Scheme support are looking quit promising...

Björn
PS :what happens to Netbeans since ORACLE is the new SUN Owner?