On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 04:49:45 UTC, Tommi wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 04:31:56 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
The problem is that you can't do this in generic code, because generic code by definition doesn't know how to copy an arbitrary type.

I'm not familiar with that definition of generic code. But I do feel that there's a pretty big problem with a language design if the language doesn't provide a generic way to make a copy of a variable. To be fair, e.g. C++ doesn't provide that either.

C++ as a language doesn't, but if you follow the convention that C++ establishes in its libraries (where copy assignment & copy construction == deep copy), it always works out correctly.

D doesn't have that convention so that's why we're running into trouble.