On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 23:56:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
I know there's been some long term unhappiness about the deprecated attribute - it's all-or-nothing approach, poor messages, etc. Each change in it changes the language and the compiler.

Perhaps it could be done with a user defined attribute instead?

Anyone want to take on the challenge?

Good plan. On a side note when can we expect some progress on stabilizing the language and fixing ~2000 bugs? After a couple of more random unnecessary breaking changes, or do you anticipate it happening before that?