What's the best way to achieve binary compatibility on Linux? For example, if I compile an application on, say Ubuntu 12.04, it will most likely not run on any older versions of Ubuntu but it will run on future versions.

My current approach to solve this is to compile the application in the oldest version of Ubuntu I can find, in this case 6.x. This is starting to get a bit problematic:

* The integration with VirtuaBox (I'm running Ubuntu as a guest) is pretty bad * DMD won't run of out of the box, I need to compile it. This is also making DVM basically useless * I can't clone the dlang repositories due to having a very old version of git installed * I can't compile git, I haven't investigated in why but probably due to the system is too old

Is there some compiler/linker flags I can use when building to make the executable compatibility with older versions of Linux?

Or is there a better way to solve this?

--
/Jacob Carlborg