Tommi wrote:
If virtual method calls are really that fast to do, then I think the idiom in the code snippet of my first post is useless, and the idiom they represent in that video I linked to is actually pretty great.

Virtual functions have other performance limitations, naming they can't be inlined. So small virtual calls do have a big impact if used often, especially (so I hear) on ARM processors which don't have as advanced branch-prediction machinery as x86 (again, I'm just repeating what I've heard before).