On 11/11/2012 01:19 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I'm not a Linux expert, but I'm fairly certain the answer is "You
can't". Linux is very good at a lot of things, but standardization is
definitely not one of them. Linux is just far too divergent ("herding
cats" comes to mind) for a widely-compatible binary to be realistic.
The best that can be done is make a dead-simple-to-use script to grab
dependencies (isolated from the rest of the system if need be) and
compile.

I think you're most likely right -- at least, it's impossible in the general case if not perhaps for a narrow band of widely-used distros.

It's just that I think people were answering a different question from that which the OP asked, and I think his actual question deserves a decent answer (even if it's a negative one).