I actually was reminded about AD by someone's recent post on a SciPy
discussion list.
Here's another interesting link that appeared there questioning why AD
doesn't get more use in the machine learning community:
http://justindomke.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/automatic-differentiation-the-most-criminally-underused-tool-in-the-potential-machine-learning-toolbox/

And a followup posted by the same guy explaining the basics of reverse-mode AD:
http://justindomke.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/a-simple-explanation-of-reverse-mode-automatic-differentiation/

--bb