I tested your code and it seems to work correctly. However, what I find troubling is that I would never have thought of trying this out. This is because those two properties are said to return DELEGATES, according to this page: http://dlang.org/hash-map.html, but it does not seem to be correct. Now, I had a look at those properties' implementation and found out that they, in fact, return ranges, which contradicts documentation :(. I think it is safe to assume that both byValue and byKey return results in the same order, given that they use the same underlying range struct for popFront() and empty(). Thank you for pointing this out.