Walter Bright wrote:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
I know.  How many months has bug 314* had the most votes?  And 313
while we're at it.  Importing has been broken for years and instead D2
is getting thread-local variables.  It seems like a gross misdirection
of effort.

314 does not affect correct code, hence is an implicitly less important issue.

The order of importance of bugs is roughly:

1. silently generating bad code
2. compiler crashes
3. regressions that break previously working code
4. not accepting valid code
5. accepting invalid code
6. poor error messages

Throw into that how much work a bug is to fix, how many projects it affects, if there's a patch submitted, etc.

Out of the blue, this gives a thought:

Suppose you (Walter) encounter a bug report in bugzilla, and decide to not fix it right now.

It would probably be very informative, and crowd-pacifying, to simply write two lines of text, describing why you *this time* want to prefer other things.

Then (like 2months to 3years later), when you stumble upon the same BR, you might rewrite the "motivation of a not-now fix".

The people who read the items, have an easier time accepting the omission of a bug fix, if there's a hint of motivation there.

Sorry for asking, but is this somewhere in the path a newbie (or a semi-newbie who's frustrated) stumbles upon it:

> The order of importance of bugs is roughly:
>
> 1. silently generating bad code
> 2. compiler crashes
> 3. regressions that break previously working code
> 4. not accepting valid code
> 5. accepting invalid code
> 6. poor error messages

(I mean, this post instance in this particular newsgroup should not be the only place where that list is "encounterable".)