On Monday, 10 December 2012 at 21:24:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 12/10/12 4:20 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2012-12-10 21:10, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

You want to create a new window with the same parent. At the top level there's one desktop window, and probably having two would be odd.

There are many applications that support several top level windows.
These are mostly document based.

Are we really up for continuing to debate this?

Andrei

I'm not up for this debate about Windows - just the original about gdup :-)

It is not an attempt to automatically determine reference or value semantics, even though your ideas on @owned and @foreign make sense and are a fine use of attributes. It is about a single phobos/library [g]dup function for structs that provides recursive deep copy without the need for struct designer to do anything extra. I think the benefits pointed out in the original make sense and are worth pursuing.

I have a feeling Walter would disagree - simply because apparently he is not a fan of postblits, which serve similar purpose. Further, from another thread he is not a fan of deep copy semantics in general, as he said there is almost never a need (which I would love to hear more commentary on). Yet TDPL shows the a prime example for the need in 7.1.3 (Widget). Plus we get questions all the time on how to cross from the const/immutable world to the mutable - which gdup provides.

Thanks
Dan