12/12/2012 12:59 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen пишет:
[snip]

I'd mention that the most of idiomatic D code is agnostic with respect
to the origin of slice. The major reason to use slices is to avoid
allocations and thus the allocation scheme is not important up to the
point of explicit copy.

And at that point e.g. Phobos plays it safe and does everything that has
to copy or incrementally build via GC. And it gets bashed for it every
once in a while. To put simply it's because there is no concept of
allocators in idiomatic D code _yet_.

And separating slices and allocation mechanism behind them is the key of
usability of slices as they stand. If we add stuff that makes them 50%
more bulky and helps only a certain scheme of GC memory allocation we
are screwed.

Then our current slice design is broken.

int[] arr;
arr.length = 1024; // guess where this memory comes from?

Nice one ;)
Guess this point was destroyed.

--
Dmitry Olshansky