On 2012-12-11 00:41, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hello all,

Walter and I have had a long discussion following his trip to Australia.
Following the current sprint for Win64 (which we all, I think, agree was
long overdue and had to be done), the main area we need to work on (as
I'm sure many would agree) is improving our process, in particular the
approach to releasing the compiler and standard library.

Walter has delegated me to lead this effort, and agreed to obey with
whatever process comes forward as long as it's reasonably clear and simple.

In turn, I'll be collecting thoughts and opinions in this thread,
distilled from previous discussions. We should develop a few simple git
scripts (such as git-start-new-feature or git-start-bugfix etc)
supported by an equally simple piece of documentation describing how to
start a new release, fix a bug, experiment with a new feature, and such.

(One piece that has been brought forward is
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ - something to
keep in mind.)

Don't know if this has already been said but there already exists a git command for this workflow:

https://github.com/nvie/gitflow

It's available in MacPorts so I should assume it's available in most Linux package mangers as well.

--
/Jacob Carlborg