Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

I'm thinking this shared thing is going to be only good for small POD, as it's going to be almost untennable to deal with repeating all implementation just because something is shared or not. And even then, you probably want to copy the POD to non-shared form so you can pass it around. I don't anticipate anyone making much more than a shared int.

Personally, I anticipate using shared for large global containers almost exclusively. I've never considered the "interconnected web of shared objects" idea to be a good one, and building shared into the language doesn't change that. For containers, a range returned by a shared container will probably have to hold the lock on that container until it is destroyed or shared won't be terribly useful. I haven't thought about this very thoroughly, but that's my initial take on the idea.