I'd like to add that I have programmed with google Go for some time and moved to D for various reasons. It is true that unused imports and variables may be a hint that something was done wrong, or forgotten, and a review might be desirable. I am all for being warned about this. However, it is absolutely true that tagging those as errors can 1) become a nuisance when debugging 2) might not even be applicable for D (you mentioned some things about traits using them).

Now, the question became: "who's responsibility is it to warn about those messages?". I do like the idea of having an interface to the lexer and parser to make it easy for IDEs to identify those problems because 1) it makes finding those errors easier and 2) provides the possibility to move the responsibility from the compiler to another tool, which is flexible. If I am not mistaken, such an API is implemented in Go's standard lib.

So my take on this would be: give (not you personally) all the third party tools the means to identify those things easily because I am a 100% for the fact that those warnings CAN BE USEFUL.

By the way, would anyone be kind enough to tell me what UFCS are?

Phil