On Monday, 24 December 2012 at 17:40:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Why can't we simply make auto ref work with non-templated functions by making
it automatically generate both the ref and non-ref versions?

[snip]

What problems does this cause? Why haven't we just done this already?

What does this generate?

auto foo(auto ref S a, auto ref S b, auto ref S c, auto ref S d) { ... }

16 different functions, one for each combination? Sounds like a bad idea.

And if that doesn't work, can we simply make it so that the compiler automatically creates a variable when you pass an rvalue to a non-templated
auto ref function?

I don't see any problems with this, but I admittedly haven't thought too much about it.