On Monday, 7 January 2013 at 17:05:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Monday, January 07, 2013 11:13:55 Russel Winder wrote:
LDC is though still generally creating faster executables than DMD. This is just a gut feeling right now, in a couple of weeks time I'll see if I can get some actual numbers.

I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. Work would have to be put in on specifically make dmd generate faster code, and AFAIK, pretty much all of the compiler work is being put into bug fixing and implementing a few new features (like Win64 support). I wouldn't expect improved optimizations to enter into the picture much until the bug count is much lower unless someone takes a liking to spending time improving dmd's code generation.

If I recall right, one of the larger slowdowns was during large struct initialization, as dmd wrote individual instructions to fill in the struct. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to fix that, then compare speeds, they might be closer to equal than we think.