On Wednesday, 16 January 2013 at 16:58:13 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 January 2013 at 12:53:05 UTC, mist wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 January 2013 at 12:05:49 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
Clang contains a ton of warnings for code that could contain common errors. […]

Well, that is probably the only thing I hate in Clang :)

Actually, I found GCC to be much noisier in this (-Wall -Wextra) case; the Clang warnings are mostly of pretty good quality.

Also, I can't imagine a single valid use case for unreferenced variables in C/C++, so it is a bit different.

Variables only used as parameters to assert(), in release builds. This is somewhat annoying, as there isn't already an #if-block you could move them into, as for other similar cases involving conditional compilation.

David

Ah, good catch, glad I have not yet met such a case, I'd probably have raged a lot :) Well, both Clang and GCC are not perfect here. I have seen several times when -Werror policy got canceled because no acceptable workaround was thought of in time. And my development experience is rather small.