Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Actually I seem to remember that "Numerical recipes in C" was widely criticized for having incredibly strong restrictions on the published code.

The license is, from my copy of the 1987 edition:

"Although this book and its programs are copyrighted, we specifically authorize you, the reader of this book, to make one machine-readable copy of each program for your own use. [...] Distribution of machine-readable programs (either as copied by you or as purchased) to any other person is not authorized."