On Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 06:13:25 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
On Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 04:38:44 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
On Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 02:28:26 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
Having ref accept rValues seems like a bad idea. If the source is const/immutable then it might be allowed, but more likely temporaries will be made for convertion from rValues to lValues, then passing off the temporaries. The temporaries to work right likely need to be at the top-most scope of whatever function you happen to be in; Beyond that I'm not sure how else the auto ref could be implemented safely.

I have yet to see an instance of such problem in real life, but quite frankly, I tired to argue.

I would have thought it was obvious. I have done before where all my work was done from a ref. Now being that i wouldn't want to duplicate my code twice, the non-ref simply forwards to the ref. auto ref may automate removing the need to explicitly forward temporaries or make them yourself; Kinda like how scope makes things easier.

You completely fail to address the point raised.

Back on the point, quoting « Having ref accept rValues seems like a bad idea. ». D accepted it for ages, some language accept it by design (java for instance).

Now can someone show me the code ?