Hello Jussi,

BCS Wrote:

Has anyone ever tried building a c# project without an IDE?

Yes.

I don't even know if it can be done.

It is actually very easy to do:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2518

Um, Step 1. OK. Step2. OK. Step 3. Yup, no longer practical. If that's what it take, you have just proven my point to my satisfaction. D can be built with no non-code files C# can't. I'll tolerate something like make but nothing like that .proj file.
Yes you can trigger a build from the command line, but setting up a
project without it would require hand editing of XML (yuck) and the
build tool IS visual studio.

It is true that Visual Studio creates XML project/solution files and
the contents of these files is overly complex.

But these XML files are Visual Studio specific and a lot of their
complexity comes from the fact that they contain extra information
that is only needed by the IDE.

If you use the MsBuild approach the amount of XML that is needed to
create a project/solution is much smaller and in general the XML is
fairly trivial.

Smaller than huge and fairly trivial in comparison to what? The only people who are going to do this (c# w/o someones IDE) are 1) people forced both to use c# and to not use an IDE or 2) the same kind of people who run OSX on an Xbox ( :-O Oh my, someone actually did that, I didn't known: http://www.forevergeek.com/2005/06/os_x_for_the_xbox/ ) because they like thumbing their nose at the big guys.