On 01/30/2013 07:48 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

If you're somewhat familiar with the details of the C standard, you'll
realize that a laughably large percentage of C code currently in use is
actually invalid C (either due to undefined behaviour, or incorrect
reliance on sizeof(char)==1, or a whole bunch of other obscure rules
that most C programmers aren't even aware of).

The C standard defines sizeof(char) to be 1.

By the way, I learned this fact many years ago when reading the book, "C: A Reference Manual", from Harbison and Steele, which I recommend highly for anybody serious about C. It dispelled a lot of mysteries surrounding C for me that were left by other books, and I've used it countless times as a reference.