On 02/10/2013 01:53 PM, Robert wrote:
On Sun, 2013-02-10 at 13:40 +0100, Timon Gehr wrote:
Why does this justify a keyword? I think Walter's initial proposal of
getting rid of @property has more merit than this.

Read the DIP?

Stop trolling.

It is about encapsulation

Perfectly possible without DIP26 and encapsulation can be violated using @property as given in DIP26 just as easily as without it.

and making set functions
callable with = in order to be compatible with ref returning functions:
(Compatible from set function to ref returning function, not the other
way round)

setter(2);

and for the more expressive syntax:
        a=something;

That's not more expressive.

instead of

You mean as well as.

        a(something);

and so that tools can easily extract what's a property. (For enabling
access from scripting languages for example, like Qt does.)

Use UDAs.

The one reason why we can not drop it, is  that = calls the set function
on properties.

So does ( ). And both are the case already.

The reason why we should not, is that having such a cool
straight forward feature for providing proper no-boilerplate

Boilerplate can be trivially automated.

encapsulation seems valuable in an OOP enabled language.