On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 15:26:50 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
You mean changing as in, instead of throwing an exception, it tries to use a null value and segfaults? Not a very significant difference.

I'm still not following... where would the segfault come from? Unless you dereference .ptr, you can't get a segfault from operating on a null string.

But we are splitting hairs here. The first one could potentially change the environment variable that the second uses, thereby affecting the behavior.

That's a completely different matter from changing how code within the same program accesses the environment in general. Both components may be operating on specialized, prefix-named variables that have no chance of interfering with each other, and still break when the behavior of a global object changes.

It would be safer for the component to define a very small wrapper, which changes environment's semantics according to its requirements.