On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:10:00 -0500, Vladimir Panteleev <vladi...@thecybershadow.net> wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 16:45:08 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:09:48 -0500, Lars T. Kyllingstad <pub...@kyllingen.net> wrote:
You'd use it like this:

spawnProcess(["prog"]);

That allocates.  I don't like that requirement.

I know this is debatable and that we've discussed this before, but I feel I should still mention that the cost of one more small allocation will be absolutely negligible compared to the cost of creating a new process, even taking into account long-term effects of heap fragmentation and such. I don't think that API design should suffer for such a small performance cost.

Even the API is ugly. It takes no significant code or really understanding to make a single-arg spawnProcess that does the same thing.

-Steve