On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:07:45 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:35:04 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

Phobos kind of refuses to treat strings like arrays of characters, it
insists on decoding.

There's no decoding in find and splitter as far as I remember.

Looking at splitter, it uses skipOver to skip over the separator, and
that seems to call R.front and R.popFront. Actually, it calls it for
both the source string and the separator.

You may be looking at the wrong splitter overload.

Yes, I was. Very difficult to tell with the way template constraints are written!

So it's just pure heuristics. Not hard to see how that would affect a 10 million cycle program.

We may be able to create a string-specific version of splitter that would take advantage of the representation.

-Steve