On Friday, 8 March 2013 at 03:37:41 UTC, Michel Fortin wrote:
On 2013-03-07 18:31:34 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com> said:

On 2013-03-07 15:55, Kagamin wrote:

I heard, llvm was written for C and x86. C++, exceptions and ARM pushed it beyond its limits and created a lot of kludge and redesigns.

Apple is betting everything on Clang/LLVM and they really need ARM for iOS. They have basically given up on GCC. Last time GCC got update was with Xcode 3.2.6, latest Xcode is 4.6, according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode#Toolchain_Versions

In other words, Apple stopped using newer versions of GCC when the licence changed to GPLv3. I wonder where Clang/LLVM would be today if GCC was still available under GPLv2.

BSD people also are switching to LLVM. This is a very high quality tool in general, and even if you don't consider license issues, you'd find good reasons to use it.