On Saturday, 23 March 2013 at 02:39:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:34:54AM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Saturday, 23 March 2013 at 02:20:33 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>I think someone will be happy to use D instead of C/C++ on >the web
>for performance-sensitive code, like games.

If it compiles to any kind of javascript it is a mistake to think they'll be a performance boost over just writing javascript, with or without annotations. Odds are there will be leaky abstractions in
the compile process that can hurt speed.

Any kind of translation from language X to language Y will incur at least the performance overhead of language Y, plus some incidental overhead incurred by non-trivial or imperfect mapping of X's features to
Y'es features. This incidental overhead is rarely every zero.

So there is no way translating from language X to language Y will be faster than writing in language Y in the first place, no matter how good your optimizer is. Otherwise, you might as well just write in language Y
to begin with, and run the optimizer on *that*.

I don't think you understood the point. asm.js is not the same as js. Pure js isn't involved anywhere along the translation path bearophile proposed except as a side-effect.