Jason House wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I never expect my posts to cause a
change in D, or for my bug reports to even get a comment.

For that, I must confess you've got a more mature attitude than most participants.

My long posts with well thought out ideas either get no response or a
reaction like Andrei's recent switch range thread.

(Not familiar with the particular post/response, but believe me, I've been there, and so have scores of other regulars here.)

For such situations, I've decided to Presume: either the post was ill positioned (maybe down in a thread, maybe posted at the same time some of the Celebrities Dropped a Bomb in the Pond), or then simply at a wrong moment. (Discourcially, temporally, psychologically, or socially.)

I no longer try to work out the details and merely hope my efforts
plant a seed for thought. It's far less frustrating that way.

Sadly, ( /thoroughly/ sadly), this is like a party group. If you really want exposure, your first post should be no longer than 3 lines long. Then, on the 4th level of the thread, you might piecemeal start exposing the details of what you really wanted to say, in the first post. Hell, our current celebrities do that, and the success, you undoubtedly see.

What would irk me most about doing that is if such a
decision causes a ripple of changes throughout my code base.

Life's  not fair, especially in the fast lane, and definitely not with D2.0.

OTOH, with D1.x, if "things change" there /will/ be a riot. (Actually, there _should_ be War!)